Information Environment Programme 2009-11
The aim of this programme is to improve the capacity of the sector to manage, discover and use information resources.
There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need to ensure that quality information isn't lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of 'quality' information, there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.
The JISC Strategic aims include developing and providing innovative and sustainable ICT infrastructure, services and practice that support institutions in meeting their mission. This can be summarised as the development, provision and use of an e-Infrastructure (Information Environment) for education and research. Alongside this there is the aim to promote the development, uptake and effective use of ICT to support learners and teachers and to support researchers.
Aims & objectives
The aim of this programme is to improve the capacity of the sector to manage, discover and use information resources. This will be achieved by delivering a range of benefits to the sector that align with the general benefits that JISC seeks to deliver for the sector:
- Enhanced capacity, knowledge and skills to enable positive and informed change in the sector (through piloting new technologies and approaches)
- Guidance to the sector on 'best practice' models for using technology that can be used at departmental, institutional, regional or national levels
- Strategic leadership to the sector and other bodies in specialist areas and to influence national and international agendas
- Knowledge and experience as a basis for future funding decisions for the JISC and its sub committees
- New or enhanced services, infrastructure, standards or applications that may be used at departmental, institutional, regional or national levels
inf11 - Use when discussing the programme online See comments